Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Get Real!

This entry comes after I watched Diana Ser on CNA.
The episode was on getting a driving licence in Singapore.
Here are some of the facts: (as presented in the show)
1. There are no women testers in Singapore.
2. The testers are actually retired police officers.
3. Singapore is one of the countries which it is very difficult to obtain a driving licence.
4. There is no such thing as a quota as to how many testees to pass in a month.

I had a good laugh when Diana took the wheel to try her hand on one of the test routes and the circuit courses.
She forgot to stop before the stop line, make a u-turn when there is no u-turn sign, mount a kerb, rolled backward on the circuit slope...
It kinda reminded me of my own experience.

I was 10 times more nervous for my second test.
My first test went pretty well, until I rammed a car during a right turn.
That was an immediate failure, to which I spent extra $$$ and time for a second test.
So, because of that, it inevitably put pressure on my second test.
I was determined to pass the second time around, as I don't want to spend more $$$.
I kept seeing images of the accident, and the stress of passing the test.
Plus, the car allocated to me for the test wasn't exactly "well-tuned"...

If I were to do it all over again,
--> Wait a minute! I DON'T WANT TO DO IT AGAIN!
Period.

However, I offer the following tips/advice for would-be learning drivers:
1. If you can afford it, enrol in a driving school. They are more systematic and follows a strict syllabus.
2. Try not to fix instructors. Some instructors are better in explaining certain manoeuvres than others.
3. Try not to go for lessons 7 days a week. Allow yourself breaks and time to reflect on your mistakes. According to the show, 3 to 4 time a week is ideal. For me, I booked lessons twice a week in the beginning, and subsequently increase to 3 times a week.
4. Try to remember (by heart) the tips that the instructors throw at you. For example, certain stretches of roads may require you to stay in the middle lane, as the left or right lanes are only for turning left and right respectively. These are lifesavers which will help you pass with flying colours.
5. Try to book for revision lessons at least 2 weeks before the test. It will help you refresh the little things you may have missed, like checking blind spots, etc.
6. Most useless piece of advice: Try not to be nervous during the test. One instructor told me, if you are nervous, your normal driving standard will be reduced to half.

Good luck!

0 Two-cents-worths:

Post a Comment

<< Home